L'Hôtel de Bourgtheroulde

Bourgtheroulde Hotel

Bourgtheroulde Hotel is a historical monument from the 16th century located at the heart of Rouen, the former capital of Normandy, the stronghold of the French Vikings, the fief of William the Conqueror, Henry II Plantagenet, Richard the Lionheart and the place where Joan of Arc was executed.

This boutique hotel offers a 700-meter-square spa, an 18-by-9 meter indoor swimming pool, a hammam, a sauna, a fitness center and six beauty care areas. Enjoy the refined restaurant, the brasserie, the bar inside the atrium or the historical courtyard of the hotel. Moreover the facility offers 5 banquet halls able to host up to 300 people, huge public areas and a perfect location downtown, five minutes walking from the train station, the cathedral, the museum and all the points of interest of the Historic District.

Rouen is one hour from Paris, close to the D-Day beaches and Mont-Saint-Michel, located right on the main highway that goes from Channel Tunnel to the South of France, at the heart of the stamping grounds of the Impressionists such as Monet and Pissaro. Take time to discover the hotel thanks to the virtual tour or view the pictures.
Hotel Virtual Tour


Histoire de Hotel de Bourgtheroulde

Main services and facilities

78 Rooms & Suites
8 Conference rooms
1 Brewery
1 Bar
A pool of 18m x 9m
A 700m² Spa with steam room and sauna
A fitness room
Animals allowed
Free Wifi


Histoire de Hotel de Bourgtheroulde

History

This old private mansion built by the Le Roux family between 1499 and 1532 displays a faced in the interior courtyard that still retains elements from the Gothic art and mullioned windows. In the middle we can see the salamander, the emblem of Francis I.

On the left of this façade, we can see a polygonal turret that formerly was completely covered with Renaissance-style sculptures. The most part was destroyed in 1944. The tower was then restored with some of its bas-reliefs which depicted pastoral scenes, and the roof recovered its original appearance with a finial.

The left wing consists of an Italian Renaissance-style gallery called “galerie d’Aumale” and is adorned with bas-reliefs sculpted in limestone. The upper part represents six allegorical scenes of The Triumphs of Petrarch, with two of them extremely damaged. The lower part shows an historical scene contemporary of the monument: the Interview of the Field of the Cloth of Gold.

The outside suffered many remodeling works during the 19th and 20th centuries. The entrance porch is decorated with two leopards from Normandy and Anjou, that support the arms of Bourgtheroulde family, and the porcupine, symbol ok King Louis XII. The small corbelled watch turret that adorned the part of the porch threatened to collapse at the beginning of the 20th century. It was removed and rebuilt identically from 2009 to 2010.